THE STRANGE TALE OF THE DISAPPEARING DOG

Yesterday Spangle, our dog, disappeared. He likes to explore and we were concerned that he had been gone too long, so decided to look for him. I walked across the fields next to the house towards some woodland where a woodman was working. He has a dog, so I though Spangle may have been attracted over there. As I shouted  and looked around I saw a car pull up on the roadside about a kilometer away from the direction I was walking in, I stopped to watch and saw Spangle walking down the driveway of the vineyard opposite our house towards me (and towards the car). He had obviously heard my shouts and was coming home.

A man got out of the car and clearly said something to Spangle who veered off his planned trajectory towards home and went across to say hello. I started to walk back across the field I was in and back towards the dog; calling his name as I did so.

Dog did not appear. So I kept on walking, and calling. After a few more minutes I was, maybe, a couple of hundred yards away from him. The man and the car were still there with Spangle, but they were partly obscured by vine prunings piled up at the road side so I could not see what was going on.

Before I got much closer a bizzare thing happened. Said man quickly shut the car door and the boot of his car, jumped in it, reversed into the neighbour's drive and drove away in the direction he had originally come from. The dog had gone too.

It was so shocking that it was hard to comprehend what had happened. I stood in amazement and watched  the car (a grey hatchback) travel away from me, knowing that inside it was my dog and that there was absolutely nothing I could do. I was too far from my own car (and the keys) to give chase; I could just follow them with my eyes until they had disappeared from view. Richard and I then drove around the area looking for them but that was, of course, a complete waste of time.

There followed a very unhappy evening and morning the next day while we planned how best to circulate a description of the car and the dog (who is chipped, incidentally). But things got even stranger as early this afternoon Spangle re-appeared. Richard was gathering together some egg boxes in our sechoir (tobacco barn) when the dog materialised at his side. He was thin, dirty and exhausted. And I would have thought that I had imagined the whole thing were it not for the fact that his name tag had been removed from his collar. That had to have been done intentionally as the tag had been very firmly attached.

So dog and owners are re-united and needless to say we are all overjoyed, but it has been a horrible experience and I wish the dog could talk. I would love to know what happened to him and how he got back home. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please let me know.

Comments

Popular Posts