A bleak day in April


It is hard to believe it is mid April. 13 degrees centigrade today and a piercing northerly wind, We went to the plant fair at Neuvic sur L'Isle. However, there was sunshine and it didn't rain, so the place was buzzing with activity and there were some wonderful plants on show.

 I went to the fair with a mission to buy hostas, perovskia and hydrangea arborescens Annabelle.  First thing I saw on Le Jardin des Poetes stand was a variety of Euphorbia I had never seen before - euphorbia characias Blackbird. Bought three of those; so good intentions ruined from the word go. Then bought Solomon's Seal, some strawberry mint, hydrangea arborescens Annabelle, some angelica, two peonys and finally a lovely brunnera macrophylla. So I did go slightly off piste and consequently spent until 7pm trying to get them all into the ground once we got back home.


M Epouvantail at Neuvic, braving the cold.

Highlight of the day must have been at Le Jardin des Poetes stand which always has lovely plants. The owner raises them himself, and his stand has a prominent position by the gates into the courtyard. His mother  speaks excellent English as she was an English teacher in Newcastle. When we told her that Mr Epouvantail was from Newcastle and both of our children were born there she sang the 'Blaydon Races' in broad Geordie from start to finish, word perfect. Felt quite homesick! I think her son started to get quite cross with her - especially when we both joined in, to the mild surprise of other customers.

A year ago last February I posted a picture of  our new garden as I attempted to create the first border along the front facade of the house. All I had achieved was to dig up a wheelbarrow full of stones and I knew I was faced with a backbreaking task. This is the same piece of ground today - even though the weather is bleak and nothing is blooming and the sky is grey it cheers me to think we have made some progress.




Comments

Popular Posts